Struts 2 is a popular powerful framework for developing Java web applications. Struts 2 differs greatly from the original framework and as such this course is also suitable for anyone who has been using Struts 1.
In this Struts training course, experienced Java developers learn how to use Struts and the Model-View-Controller (MVC) design pattern to build scalable, maintainable data-driven Web Applications.
This course has been developed for real-world, commercial scenarios by our expert instructors. See below for detailed syllabus. If you have a technical question, please email email@example.com
What you will learn
1. How to install and set up the Struts framework with Tomcat.
2. How to design and implement a well structured Struts based web application.
3. How to implement and configure your own Struts components.
5. How to provide complex data validation on both the client and the server.
6. How Struts custom tag libraries simplify the development process.
7. How to utilise advanced features such as Validators, Templates
Hands On Exercises
The delegates will have hands-on experience of building Struts applications, including:
1. Implementing a simple form based web application with JSPs and Struts.
2. Using the Struts custom tag libraries to further improve the structure and maintainability of the application.
3. Design and implement a complex Wizard style application - including techniques for detecting illegal navigation from user.
4. Automating data validation with the Validator plug-in.
5. Template based page generation with the Tiles plug-in.
6. Internationalization of a web application.
8.Integration of Servlets, JSPs and EJBs to form a complete online J2EE application
Struts - Web Enterprise Workshop with Jakarta Struts Training Course Outline
Getting Started with Struts 2.0
Jakarta Struts Project
MVC and Struts
Review Filters, Servlets, JSP and Web Applications
Struts Components: FilterDispatcher, Interceptors, Actions, and Results
Your First Struts Application
Struts 2.0 components
Configuring structs.xml: package, results, exceptions, and actions
Adding basic view components
Validation and Interceptors
XWork validation framework
Mapping the Model to the View
Review using Custom Tags
Introducing Struts Tags
Themes and Templates
OGNL for type conversion
Localization and I18n
Putting It All Together
Create the Application
Showing and Editing Error Massages
Advanced Topics (Optional)
Migration of Struts 1.x applications to Struts 2.x
Working with the Tiles Custom Library (Optional)
Using put and insert
Advanced tile features (optional lesson)